Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Wallace Collection

While Matt is in Normandy this weekend (pictures of that to come!), I went to see The Wallace Collection which is one of my favorite collections of art in London.  The Wallace Collection reminds me a lot of The Frick Collection in NYC.  It's a collection of art assembled by one family over the course of five generations, beginning in the 1700s, and it's housed in the London townhouse, 'The Hertford House', of its former owners.  The building itself is impressive and was originally built because there was good duck hunting nearby.  The interiors are gorgeous and colorful, including furniture, art, arms & armor, porcelain, and beautiful chandeliers.

Head's up - I'm including a lot of pictures here, but I couldn't help myself.  I took pictures of the interiors, and some of my favorite pieces ... enjoy!

Exterior of The Hertford House











Turkish style tiles which one lined the entire walls of the smoking room.

Equestrian armour of Ottheinrich, Count Palatine of the Rhine Hans Ringler,
Nuremberg, 1532 and 1536.
Powerful German war-leader, patron of the arts,
and champion of the Protestant Reformation.


Love this!  Hey Matt, my birthday's coming up ... 
Joshua Reynolds "The Strawberry Girl," 1772.
Rembrandt "Titus, the Artist's Son," 1657.
This was painted a year following Rembrandt's bankruptcy.  In 1658 his wife and son
were forced to sell most of his etchings and paintings. 
Willem Drost "A Young Woman in a Brocade Gown," 1654.
Gerrit Dou "A Hermit," 1661.
Frans Hals "The Laughing Cavalier," 1624.  
Rembrandt "Self-Portrait in a Black Cap," 1637.
Canaletto "Venice: the Bacino di San Marco from the Canale della Guidecca," 1735.

No comments:

Post a Comment